[commit: ghc] master: Hoopl.Collections: change right folds to strict left folds (2974b2b)

Michal Terepeta michal.terepeta at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 19:53:24 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 12:19 PM Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Hi Michael
>
> Thanks for pushing forward with Hoopl and other back-end things.
>
> Did this patch elicit any performance gains?  Or what brought it to your
> attention?

I noticed this some time ago and just now got around to try it out. I was
hoping for some improvements, sadly the differences (if any) were too small
compared to noise. But it seemed like a nice change on its own, so I
decided to send it out.

> Do you have further plans for Hoopl and GHC's back end?

The biggest thing is probably:
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/74
Other than that, I haven't made any plans yet ;) There are a few tickets
that I'd like to make some progress on. And I might try a few experiments
looking for some compile-time improvements in the Hoopl/backend - I think
currently nobody (including myself) is very keen on introducing new passes
or making existing ones more powerful due to compile-time constraints.
And then there are efforts by Moritz (LLVM backend using binary bitcode)
and Kavon (LLVM changes to support CPS-style calls) that sound really
interesting to me. (but they do require some more time to understand all
the context/changes, so I'm not sure if or how much I'll be able to help)

- Michal