Better perf

Sebastian Graf sgraf1337 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 15:07:50 UTC 2018

Hey,

when going through Simon-nofib-notes, I stumbled over this thread from
March 2017, when I hadn't yet subscribed to this list:
https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2017-March/013887.html.
Joachim and Simon were trying to pin-point seemingly random regressions and
improvements of ~5% to `binary-trees`.
It's hard to say in retrospect, but I suspect this is the same effect I
experienced in #15333 and I'm about to fix in #15999, e.g. that small
changes to allocations lead to big, uncorrelated jumps in runtime
performance due to GC.

Just wanted to record this here for posterity.

Cheers
Sebastian

Hi,