[Haskell] Treatment of unknown pragmas

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 16:14:03 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I've just released HLint 2.1.11 which supports three different forms
of pragma as per https://github.com/ndmitchell/hlint#ignoring-hints,
so you can write:

* {-# ANN module "HLint: ignore Eta reduce" #-}
* {-# HLINT ignore "Eta reduce" #-}
* {- HLINT ignore "Eta reduce" -}

The last two are new to this version of HLint. ANN is a serious
performance penalty, {-# HLINT #-} triggers a GHC warning, and {-
HLINT -} gets highlighted as a comment - so people get to pick their
downside. I will probably remove documentation of the ANN variant at
some point, since it's got serious the most serious downsides.

I have no intention to support a {-@ HLINT @-} or similar syntax,
because everything that might sensibly be used is taken, and even if
it gets adopted universally, I suspect HLINT will account for 80%+
instances, making it still the "weird HLINT syntax".

 My preference is still to have GHC not give warnings on HLINT, but
assuming that's still infeasible, I'll probably see about getting all
the Haskell syntax highlighters to add special support for {- HLINT
-}...

Thanks, Neil