Regarding Package Environment Files

lennart spitzner hexagoxel at hexagoxel.de
Sat Aug 25 14:31:03 UTC 2018

greetings,

this topic was discussed on mailing list before[1], but I don't think anything came of it. It was also recently discussed on the cabal issue tracker [2] but alas the cabal maintainers have so far not shown interest in resolving the issue.

And while cabal-install caused this problem to surface for many users, the fact that package environment files unnecessarily add state to ghc behaviour holds regardless of cabal behaviour, and must be addressed on ghc's end. I expand on this reasoning in a blog post [3].

Thanks for considering.

-- lennart

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2018-May/129076.html
[2] https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/4542