Stable name equality

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 20 11:56:44 UTC 2018

I defer to SimonM but IIRC each stable name corresponds to an entry in the stable-name table; the index in the table is the “stable” thing in a stable name.  So I bet that comparison compares these indices.

If two stable names are pointer-equal, they presumably contain the same index into the table.

But is the reverse true?  That is, can we be sure that two pointer-distinct stable name objects contain different indices?

Simon