Starting hacking on GHC

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Mon Aug 13 14:17:57 UTC 2018

Andrew Rmnsky <rmansorokin at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone! I would like to contribute to GHC, but I don't know where
> to start (I have built it already from the source). I'd be happy if someone
> gave me a piece of advice on what task I should pick for the beginning.

Hi Andrew,

Welcome! Have you seen the Newcomers page [1]? There you will find a
list of tickets which various people have deemed good entry points
into GHC development. Which you would like to pick up very much depends
upon your background, interests, and goals.

For instance, if you are familiar (or willing to learn) about stream
fusion then #14037 would likely be an intriguing starting point. If you
want to improve generics and do some simplifier sleuthing then perhaps
#11068 is a better fit. If you are interested in working on
the runtime then perhaps #14069 is of interest. Documentation
contributions are also always appreciated (e.g. #14099, #14023).

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Newcomers