Overapproximation of loopbreakers due to unfoldings

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 15 17:43:53 UTC 2017

INLINE means "Inline what I wrote".   So in your example we'd have

	===>

	bindWith [INLINE = <body mentioning bindWith>]
 	 = bindWith_abc |> co
	bindWith_abc = <optimisied version of body mentioning bindWith>

If you see a call to bindWith, we will /not/ inline bindWith_abc |> co!  We'll inline <body mentioning bindWith>.  That's what the programmer asked for.

That's why self-recursive INLINE things are loop breakers.

Does that help?

Now, it's true that /in the rhs of bindWith_abc/ it might be better to inline (bindWith_abc |> co) in place of bindWith, rather than inlining the <body mentioning bindWith>.  But currently GHC can carry only one unfolding for an Id.  We could review that, but it'd make things more complicated.

I have not yet found time to dig into the mysteries of #14211.  Thank you for investigating so diligently.

Simon