Phab: conditional approval

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Wed Sep 13 14:29:23 UTC 2017

Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> writes:

> On 19 August 2017 at 03:56, Richard Eisenberg <rae at cs.brynmawr.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> When reviewing a diff on Phab, I can "accept" or "request changes".
>> Sometimes, though, I want to do both: I suggest very minor (e.g., typo)
>> changes, but then when these changes are made, I accept. I'm leery of
>> making the suggestions and saying "accept", because then someone working
>> quickly may merge without noticing the typos. Does Phab have such an option?
>>

> "Accept with nits" is standard practice, but you're right it can go wrong
> when someone else is merging accepted diffs.  We could adopt a standard
> comment keyword, e.g. "NITS" that indicates you'd like the nits to be fixed
> before committing, perhaps?

Sounds reasonable to me.

> Also, I don't think it's a good idea to merge commits when the author is a
> committer, they can land themselves.

I would be quite happy to not have to merge such patches; I merely merge
them currently since I thought it was generally expected.

On the other hand, I generally do integration builds on the batches of
patches that I merge which can sometimes catch validation issues.
However, I expect this will be less of an issue with the
test-before-merge support in the pipeline.

Cheers,

- Ben