A type checker plugin for row types

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 22:24:44 UTC 2017

Hi all. I've been spending my free time for the last couple months on a
type checker plugin for row types. The free time waxes and wanes; sending
an email like this one was my primary goal for the past couple weeks.

At the very least, I hoped this project would let me finally get some hands
on experience with OutsideIn. And I definitely have. But I've also made
more progress than I anticipated, and I think the plugin is starting to
have legs!

I haven't uploaded the code yet to github -- it's not quite ready to share.
But I did do a write up on the dev wiki.

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Plugins/TypeChecker/RowTypes/Coxswain

I would really appreciate and questions, comments, and --- boy, oh boy ---
answers.

I hope to upload within a week or so, and I'll update that wiki page and

Thanks very much. -Nick

P.S. -- I've CC'd and BCC'd people who I anticipate would be specifically
interested in this (e.g. plugins, row types, etc). Please feel free to
forward to others that come to mind; I know some inboxes abjectly can't
afford default list traffic.

P.P.S. -- One hold up for the upload is: which license? I intend to release
under BSD3, mainly to match GHC since one ideal scenario would involve
being packaged with/integrated into GHC. But my brief recent research
suggests that the Apache license might be more conducive to eventual
widespread adoption. If you'd be willing to advise or even just refer me to
other write ups, please feel free to email me directly or to start a
separate thread on a more appropriate distribution list (CC'ing me,
please). Thanks again.