[broken HEAD] In which the strict state monad fails at basic arithmetic

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Fri Sep 1 13:24:51 UTC 2017

Moritz Angermann <moritz.angermann at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi *,
>
> while working on some related code.  I came across a rather peculiar behavior
> with GHC built from the current master branch at b2c2e3e8.

Indeed this sounds like a real bug. Can you open a ticket?

Also, it looks like the gist has projected out directory structure; do
you think you could push the testcase as a proper git repository?

> PS: can we have a folder in ghc, which contains cabal packages,
>     and part of the validation is just iterating over all those
>     packages with `cabal new-test -w /path/to/inplace/bin/ghc-stage2`?
>     In that case, one could simply change the executable target in
>     [1] into a testsuite, and drop the package into that folder?

The problem is that we don't have access to cabal-install. However,
I think there is certainly room for this sort of testing as part of, for
instance, the nightly test cycle. In this case we'd likely want to
contain this infrastructure in a repository outside of ghc proper.

Cheers,

- Ben