Types in GADT pattern match

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 30 10:04:24 UTC 2017

foo b@(Bar :: Foo [a]) = quux b
The pattern (p :: ty) checks that the thing being matched has type ‘ty’ and THEN matches ‘p’.  You expected it to FIRST match ‘p’, and THEN check that the thing being matched has type ‘ty’.  But that’s not the way it works.

e.g what about this

            rats ([Just (Bar, True)] :: [Maybe (Foo [a], Bool)]) = …

Here the pattern to be matched is deep, with the Bar part deep inside.  Do you still expect it to work?

This would be hard to change.  And I’m not sure it’d be an improvement.

Simon