Q: Types in GADT pattern match

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Sun Oct 29 23:32:17 UTC 2017

Hi Gabor,

Oleg is right that the re-use of type variables obscures the error, but it's not quite a scoping error under the hood. The problem is that GHC type-checks type signatures on patterns *before* type-checking the pattern itself. That means that when GHC checks your `Foo [a]` type signature, we haven't yet learned that `a1` (the type variable used in the type signature of foo) equals `[a]`. This makes it hard to bind a variable to `a`. Here's what I've done:

> foo :: Foo a -> ()
> foo b at Bar = case b of
>   (_ :: Foo [c]) -> quux b
>     where
>       quux :: Foo [c] -> ()
>       quux Bar = ()

It's gross, but it works, and I don't think there's a better way at the moment. A collaborator of mine is working on a proposal (and implementation) of binding existentials in patterns (using similar syntax to visible type application), but that's still a few months off, at best.

Richard