GHC HEAD now needs extra tools to build libffi?

Thomas Jakway tjakway at nyu.edu
Sun Oct 8 21:31:26 UTC 2017

I'm on Ubuntu 16.10.

I ran git bisect:

----------------------

e515c7f37be97e1c2ccc497ddd0a730e63ddfa82 is the first bad commit
commit e515c7f37be97e1c2ccc497ddd0a730e63ddfa82
Author: Moritz Angermann <moritz.angermann at gmail.com>
Date:   Sat Sep 30 09:31:12 2017 -0400

Allow libffi snapshots

This is rather annoying. I'd prefer to have a stable release to
use. However libffi-3.2.1 has been released November 12, 2014, and
libffi-4 is TBD. See also https://github.com/libffi/libffi/issues/296

The core reason for this change is that llvm changed the supported
assembly to unified syntax, which libffi-3.2.1 does not use, and hence
fails to compile for arm with llvm. For refence, see the following
issue: https://github.com/libffi/libffi/issues/191.

This diff contains a script to generate a tarball for the
`libffi-tarballs` repository from the libffi GitHub repository; as well
as the necessary changes to the build system.

Updates libffi-tarballs submodule.

Reviewers: austin, bgamari, hvr

Subscribers: hvr, erikd, rwbarton, thomie

Differential Revision: https://phabricator.haskell.org/D3574

I can't reproduce it on my other linux computers though.