True multi stage Haskell

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 01:16:51 UTC 2017

Hi Tim,

Several years ago I wrote a proof of concept of one way to implement this
in Haskell,
http://johnlato.blogspot.com/2012/10/runtime-meta-programming-in-haskell.html
.

I used TH to automatically lift expressions into a newtype-wrapped ExpQ
that could be used for staged evaluation. More than one stage would
probably have been tedious though, and a major problem with any non-trivial
code was getting all the imports in place. I do think it would have been
possible to automatically track imports though.

Of course that was 5 years ago, so state of the art has moved on. TH has
better facilities for this now, and the ghc API probably has something
better too.