[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Sat Nov 4 22:03:30 UTC 2017

Peter Trommler <Peter.Trommler at th-nuernberg.de> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Building and packaging RC2 on openSUSE works on all openSUSE platforms.
> I noticed, however, that versions of Cabal and process were downgraded
> from the respective versions in ghc 8.2.1:
>
> Cabal   2.0.0.2 -> 2.0.0.0
> process 1.6.1.0 -> 1.6.0.0

Thanks for pointing this out, Peter.

It seems that my source distribution script cleans submodules, but
doesn't actually run `git submodule update`, hence the issue. Quite
unfortunate and yet another argument for building these artifacts via
CI.

I suppose at this point we have two options:

 1. invalidate the release, cut an -rc3 and try again, or

 2. make the issue known but continue testing under the assumption that
    the submodule issues won't interact with any of the other changes
    and eventually and move directly to 8.2.2 final

Unfortunately at the moment I'm rather deep in debugging a codegen bug,
so I don't have the bandwidth to handle either of these at the moment.

Cheers,

- Ben