Building the docs, again

Patrick Dougherty patrick.doc at ameritech.net
Wed Nov 1 18:07:32 UTC 2017

I spent some time with the docs this summer, and wrote a fair bit of the Hadrian documentation building code. So maybe I can shed some light.

The question is which docs do you want to build? The library documentation relies on the haddock executable, which is one of the last targets in the entire build. Also, IIRC, creating the nice links and references is somewhat tangled up with actually building the libraries. So it's not possible to avoid building GHC if you want the haddocks.

On the other hand, you can build just the user's guide using Hadrian. You can build any sphinx html target like this:

../build.sh _build/docs/html/users_guide/index.html

Or pdf with:

../build.sh _build/docs/pdfs/users_guide.pdf

While not the cleanest, it does work. So, I think the only way you can skip building GHC is using Hadrian for sphinx targets.

Until recently, the users guide did depend on building all of GHC. I believe the make-based build just doesn't know about this change? I think I looked into updating it, but determined that it would be easier just to update Hadrian instead. I'm a little foggy on the details at this point.

Best,
Patrick