Trees that Grow in the hsSyn AST

Shayan Najd sh.najd at gmail.com
Fri May 26 02:00:10 UTC 2017

Hi David,

Which is better to start with: HsSyn or Core? Intuition suggests this sort
> of thing could be very helpful for making zapping more reliable and
> ensuring its efficiency, but there may be better reasons to start with
> HsSyn.

- Why not making Core growable as well?
We just have not considered making Core AST growable so far, though it is
entirely doable if needed.
Specially, if you have some motivating examples that a growable Core AST
"could be very helpful" like for "making zapping more reliable and ensuring
its efficiency", let us know; we can consider making Core growable as well
(possibly as an independent project).

- Why not making Core growable first?
Here the idea is to make HsSyn AST growable for the long-term goals stated
on the wiki page, like getting rid of the multiple representations of
Haskell syntax (i.e., HsSyn, Template Haskell, and Haskell-Src-Exts).
I imagine making Core AST growable does not get us closer to our current
long-term goals (except maybe as an experiment to study the impact of such
AST changes on GHC, like we did in D3609)

2. If we're making intrusive changes to representations, would now be a
> sensible era to consider switching to a different variable representation
> (unbound, bound, abt, etc)?

- While we are at it, can we consider improving some bits of the AST?
For the first few steps, I really hope to keep the changes to
representations as little as possible, at least to ease the reviewing
process and to avoid introducing bugs (provided the large scale of the
changes).
For the next steps, we can indeed consider such improvements. (We do so for
source locations, at least)

Do you have some specific changes in mind? Specially the ones that may
overlap with our work?

Thanks.

/Shayan