Type class instances in scope

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Wed May 24 12:51:50 UTC 2017

Hi Tom,

Here is what I was thinking when I made the suggestion:

1. Determine the transitive set of 'Module' that you need to load
2. Load each one using 'loadInterface'

So, there are a few problems with your code below:

- For external packages, it's sufficient to use 'loadInterface'
  to load a module, since this will suck the module's interface
  (and instances) into the EPS.

- But you are not looking at the EPS.  You need to use something
  like tcGetInstEnvs (that is in the wrong monad; but you can
  still look at this code) to get instances from the EPS.

- But to run 'loadInterface', you need a 'Module', not a
  'ModuleName' as in your code below.  You should read off the 'Module'
  from the dependencies and usages of the module interface:
  look at 'ModIface'.

- By looking at only imports of your local modules, you will only
  get the immediate set of imports, not the transitive closure.
  So you need to recursively do this for each 'ModIface' you load.

Edward

Excerpts from Tom Sydney Kerckhove's message of 2017-05-22 05:20:37 +0200: