Getting valid substitutions to work for subsumption

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 18 21:27:47 UTC 2017

| This is going to be challenging to fix, I'm afraid.

I don't agree.   If you call (tcSubsumes hole_ty ty) with closed types
hole_ty, ty, it should return True if
     ty is more polymorphic than hole_ty.

For example
   tcSubsumes (forall a. [a] -> [a])
              (forall b. b -> b)
should return True.

Ditto
   tcSubsumes (Int -> Int)
              (forall a. [a] -> [a])

And
   tcSubsumes (forall a. Ord a => a -> a)
              (forall b. Eq b => b -> b)

I'm not sure what arguments you are actually giving it.