Removing core-spec.pdf from repository?

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Mon Mar 13 22:57:19 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

Currently there is a typeset copy of the Core specification in the GHC
repository. This means any time someone changes the specification the
repository grows by around 300kB. While this isn't the end of the
world, it's generally considered bad form to put generated files under
version control.

Of course, the tools required to typeset the specification (ott and
LaTeX) are non-trivial to install, so there is considerable convenience
that comes from having a typeset version readily available.

I suggest that we remove the PDF from the repository but instead I can
start including it in my nightly documentation builds. Any objections?

Cheers,

- Ben