LLVM calling convention for AVX2 and AVX512 registers

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 20:55:06 UTC 2017

zooming out:

what *should* the new ABI be?

Ed was suggesting we make all 16 xmm/ymm/ lower 16 zmm registers (depending
on how they're being used) caller save,

(what about all 32 zmm registers? would they be float only, or also for
ints/words? simd has lots of nice int support!)

a) if this doesn't cause any perf regressions i've no objections

b) currently we only support passing floats/doubles and simd vectors of ,
do we wanna support int/word data there too? (or are the GPR / general
purpose registers enough for those? )

c) other stuff i'm probably overlooking

d) lets do this!

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com