Travis again over time

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Mar 4 19:56:26 UTC 2017

Hi,

I just noticed that travis again fails to build master, and did so for
four days.

The build logs only get sent to the committer, so if the first person
breaking the build does not react, then all following commiters (who
likely did obviously benign changes) will likely ignore any failures,
(even if they break some of the test cases) and we have a broken-window
effect. I wonder if we should configure travis to send build error
messags to, for example, ghc-commits?

Anyways, build time has increased and reached the (recently raised)
time limit of 70 minutes. I fail to identify an obviously offending
commit. Last working commit (which, by sheer luck, passed the time
limit) was
https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/fc6c222b90e68fed74a6bee6f087f47bf31f21c6

It looks that much of the time increase is due to enabling split
sections by default:
https://travis-ci.org/ghc/ghc/builds/198293519
I’ll see if that helps.

Greetings,