Removing Hoopl dependency?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 9 07:50:51 UTC 2017

Maybe this is the core of our disagreement - why is it a good idea to have Hoopl as a separate package in the first place?

One reason only: because it makes Hoopl usable by compilers other than GHC.  And, dually, efforts by others to improve Hoopl will benefit GHC.

If I proposed extracting parts of Core optimizer to a separate package, wouldn't you expect some really good reasons for doing this?

A re-usable library should be

a)      a significant chunk of code,

b)      that can plausibly be re-purposed by others

c)      and that has an explicable API

I think the Core optimiser is so big, and so GHC specific, that (b) and (c) are unlikely to hold.  But we carefully designed Hoopl from the ground up so that it was agnostic about the node types, and so can be re-used for control flow graphs of many kinds.  It’s designed to be re-usable.  Whether it is actually re-used is another matter, of course.  But if it’s part of GHC, it can’t be.

Stackage only allows one version of each package

I didn’t know that, but I can see it makes sense.  That makes a strong case for re-doing it as a new package hoopl2, if the API needs to change substantially (something we have yet to discuss).

I've pointed multiple reasons why I think it has a significant cost.
Can you just summarise them again briefly for me?  If we are free to choose nomenclature and API for hoopl2, I’m not yet seeing why making it a separate package is harder than not doing so. E.g. template-haskell is a separate package.

Thanks!

Simon