D3754: Refactor uo_thing

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Mon Jul 24 12:23:33 UTC 2017

Hi Simon,

I suppose this is possible, but it would change lots of error messages. (Currently, the uo_thing -- when reported -- is included inline with other parts of the message.) In my opinion, if we're going to reformat error messages, we could do better than this, anyway. I'm thinking of something like

Type mismatch error:
  `uo_thing` has one type, but I expected a different type.
  type of `uo_thing`: `actual`
  expected type: `expected`

where `expected` and `actual` are vertically aligned, as they are today. (This would require the ability to query the rendered length of an SDoc, which is not currently possible... but I don't think would be all that hard, as long as we were in a context that returned an SDoc.) What I like about this formatting is that it puts `uo_thing` right at the top of the error; this is the chunk of user-written syntax that causes the error.

I've not tried this yet because I haven't the time to sift through the thousand error-message changes that this would cause.

Putting uo_thing in the ErrCtxt would make something like this impossible, I think.

Richard