Freeze update

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Jan 31 18:02:25 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

As you likely know, the feature freeze date for the 8.2.1 was yesterday.
Unfortunately, it looks like that date may have been a bit optimistic as
there are there are still several major patches outstanding that we
would like to have for 8.2.1. These are namely,

 * Join points rework (D2853)
 * Overloaded Record Fields (D2708)
 * Separation of the Constraint and Type types within GHC (D3023)
 * Generalization of the kind of (->) (D2038)
 * Type-indexed Typeable (D2010)
 * Use top-level instance to solve superclasses where possible (D2714)
 * A variety of DWARF patches

While many of these patches are very close to completion, in sum they
represent a significant amount of work. While I would love to be able to
offer a concrete timeline for how we will proceed, at the moment I can
only say that things are still rather up in the air.

In particular, there are some thorny, late-rising design questions in
D2038 and D3023 which are currently under discussion. If there are no
obviously easy paths forward on these questions then we may be forced to
retarget one or more of these patches to 8.4. I believe within the next
few days we'll have a better idea of where we stand on these.

Finally, note that unless you have spoken to me previously about merging
your work for 8.2 we will not be considering any additional features at
this point.

Cheers,

- Ben