Overloaded record fields for 8.2?

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Mon Jan 30 16:54:06 UTC 2017

Hi Ben, devs,

I'd like to propose that we merge my latest ORF patch
(https://phabricator.haskell.org/D2708) for 8.2 (modulo any code review
improvements, of course). The corresponding proposal discussion
(https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/6) seems to have
reached a broad consensus. But it's not clear to me if some kind of
final approval from the GHC committee is needed, or how to obtain that.

This patch makes breaking changes to the experimental OverloadedLabels
extension, and I think it would be good to make those quickly rather
than having another release with the "old" version. Moreover, the work
has been in progress for a long time, so it would be great to see it
finally make it into a GHC release.

Any objections?

Adam

--