Join points

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 17 21:55:13 UTC 2017

All,

Yes, do take  a look at this.  It’s a fairly direct implementation of the paper “Compiling without continuations<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/compiling-without-continuations/>”.  You should definitely read the paper first; it’ll set the scene.

I am really hoping to get this into 8.2.  It’s a significant step forward in GHC’s optimisation pipeline.

I’ve reviewed quite a bit of the code with Luke, but you should feel free to say “couldn’t this be simpler?” where you get confused or stuck.  Unlike, say, type-in-type (!) it’s not that hard, and there should not be anything really obscure.

I’m sure there are ways to make it simpler and better.  (That’s why I am endlessly refactoring GHC.)  So review away.

Thank you Luke!

Simon