`dump-core` a prettier GHC core viewer

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 23:30:27 UTC 2017

Hello,

not really, the plugin does not do anything clever---it simply walks over
the GHC core and renders whatever it deems necessary to JSON.  The only
extra bits it does is to make the unique names globally unique (I thought
GHC already did that, but apparently not, perhaps that happens during
tidying?).

I was thinking of trying to do something like this across compilations
(i.e., where you keep a history of all the files to compare how your
changes to the source affected the core), but it hadn't occurred to me to
try to do it for each phase.  Please file a ticket, or even better if you
have the time please feel free to hack on it.  I was just finding myself
staring at a lot of core, and wanted something a little easier to read, but
with all/most of the information still available.

It would be awesome to have a more clever tool that helps further with
these sorts of low level optimizations---at present I find it to be a
rather unpleasant task and so avoid it when I can :-)

-Iavor