Debugging GHC with GHCi

Thomas Jakway tjakway at nyu.edu
Mon Jan 9 01:33:14 UTC 2017

I want to be able to load certain GHC modules in interpreted mode in
ghci so I can set breakpoints in them.  I have tests in the testsuite
that are compiled by inplace/bin/ghc-stage2 with -package ghc.  I can
load the tests with ghc-stage2 --interactive -package ghc but since ghc
is compiled I can only set breakpoints in the tests themselves.  Loading
the relevant files by passing them as absolute paths to :l loads them
but ghci doesn't stop at the breakpoints placed in them (I'm guessing
because ghci doesn't realize that the module I just loaded is meant to
replace the compiled version in -package ghc).

So if I use

inplace/bin/ghc-stage2 --interactive -package ghc mytest.hs
then
:l abs/path/to/AsmCodeGen.hs

and set breakpoints, nothing happens.

Ideally I'd only have to load the module I'm debugging (and it's
dependencies?) but if that isn't possible how would I get ghci to load
all of GHC in interpreted mode (intead of using -package ghc)?

Currently I'm using trace & friends to do printf-style debugging but
it's definitely not ideal.

-Thomas Jakway