Contributing Examples to the Documentation

Sunjay Varma varma.sunjay at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:14:59 UTC 2017

Hi,
I'm considering contributing examples to the documentation. I wanted to
start with something like Data.List because it is one of the modules I end
up using the most. I think a few examples for each function would help
users understand them better. I find myself referring back to books like
learn you a haskell because I don't remember exactly what I'm supposed to
do with a function.

Doing one module seems like a good start and hopefully we can have some
other people begin to add their own examples too.

Is this a worthwhile contribution? I haven't contributed before and so I
think it's prudent to ask before I add something no one wants.

Are there any examples of modules with good code examples that I should use
as a reference? I want to include both the code and output of the example
as if the user was running ghci. Are there any guidelines for contributing
documentation?

When I say Data.List, I really mean Data.Foldable and Data.Traversable
since that is where the functions are actually implemented.

I noticed the GitHub repo said that Pull Requests were okay for easy to
review documentation changes. Can I open a pull request there or should I
follow another process?

Please let me know when you can. I don't have an exact timeline for when
this will be done, but hopefully I'll have something in the next few weeks.
I don't anticipate that it will take long once I sit down to do it.

I've always complained about a lack of examples and never done anything
about it. Hopefully I can practice what I preach and contribute some in
order to make the documentation a little better for everyone.

Thanks for helping to make this language so great!
Sunjay