Deriving Data for poly-kinded datatypes

José Pedro Magalhães dreixel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 22:25:11 UTC 2017

Hi Ryan,

I can't recall any particular reason to avoid including dataCast1 in the
Data instance for poly-kinded datatypes. Have you tried applying the
example in #4028 to a poly-kinded datatype? It might be that it was done
simply to avoid forcing the kind of the parameter to be *, and hence losing
the polymorphism (possibly at the price of losing generic function
extension).

I'm not aware of a way to define dataCast1 without the Data context. Then
again, I think it's only used for generic function extension (ext1Q and
friends); can you find a way to make that work without the Data constraint?

Cheers,
Pedro