Static data and RULES

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 17 00:33:12 UTC 2017

The immediate problem today is with "S". The SCon wrapper could very well inline before the rule has a chance to fire. We'd like to be able to phase that inline to give it a chance.

Yes that’s a problem today.  It is orthogonal to the current thread.  (As I happens I have fix in my tree.)

The "L" rule becomes problematic when we try to identify static data the simplifier shouldn't have to try to optimize. If it identifies LCon 0 as static, the "L" rule will never fire.

Why doesn’t it fire?

I’m afraid I still do not understand what change is proposed, so I’m finding it difficult to see how to fix problems with it.

Simon