8.2.1 Status

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Feb 7 17:25:21 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

Over the last week I've been busily helping Richard finish up the last
bits destined for 8.2.1. At this point things are looking okay, although
there is still a bit of a push necessary before we can cut an 8.2
branch,

 * We have decided to punt the separation of * and Constraint (#11715)
   off to 8.4 due to design complications

 * The generalization of (->)'s kind (D2038) is done and passes the
   testsuite save a performance regression which I am currently
   investigating

 * The recent levity polymorphism work regressed the profiled build
   (#13223) which I am working on fixing.

 * The type-indexed Typeable patch works save one regression which I am
   working on with Simon

 * Merge the subset of OverloadedRecordFields wanted for 8.2

 * Update boot library submodules

It looks likely that these tasks will require a majority of the rest of
this week to work out. Consequently, I'm currently aiming to cut the
branch for 8.2 on Friday. I'll then spend a few days testing the tree
against Hackage and, if nothing goes terribly awry, likely cut a source
release mid-to-late next week.

Cheers,

- Ben