[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-alpha1 available

Oleg Grenrus oleg.grenrus at iki.fi
Thu Dec 21 20:48:45 UTC 2017

I copy & paste Hervert's reddit answer here [1], for ones who don't
follow it:

As the suffix "alpha" implies, this is a very bleeding edge release with
very little guarantees regarding API stability (c.f. new GHC schedule
[2]
<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Releases/NewSchedule>).

Put differently, a package that works now with GHC 8.4.1-alpha1 may not
necessarily work with the final GHC 8.4.1 release.

In order to support early adopters in testing GHC 8.4.1-alpha, there's a
new Overlay Hackage Package Index <https://github.com/hvr/head.hackage>
[3] which provides packages patched for unreleased GHCs (currently GHC
8.4.1-alpha1 & GHC 8.5/HEAD). See its README
<https://github.com/hvr/head.hackage#README> [4] for instructions on how
to use it; there's also a shell script included which automates common
workflows; finally there's also support for HEAD.hackage in
themake-travis-yml Travis CI script generator
<https://github.com/haskell-hvr/multi-ghc-travis>. [5] Don't hesitate to
ask if you have questions!

As usual, there's already an (incomplete & work-in-progress) GHC 8.4.x
Migration Guide <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Migration/8.4>
[6] you can consult and maybe even help complete.

Links:
- [1]:
https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/7l4b19/announce_ghc_841alpha1_available/drjlc3w/
- [2]: