[GHC DevOps Group] Release policies

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at justtesting.org
Wed Dec 20 01:15:42 UTC 2017

Thanks for the terminology clarification, Gershom.

As a general note, adding features or completing hitherto incomplete features on the release branch is something that should be avoided as much as possible. For starters, it is generally more work than doing it before the release branch is cut as things need to be added to master and the release branch, which slowly diverge. Moreover, the main purpose of the release branch is to stabilise the code base and to do so in a timely manner. As an example, if there is a new type system extension, but the error message are still bad, it may be allowed on the release branch with the understanding that the error messages are going to be fixed during the first month or so of the release branch lifecycle (i.e., the bulk of the work is done and tested before the release branch is cut).

This in particular implies that everything merged to the release branch has to have been well tested (the wiki page states, ”[o]nly previously agreed on, stable and tested new functionality is allowed in.”) Implicitly adding new functionality by depending on a moving library dependency, which is out of the quality control of the GHC team, is not something that I would call ”stable and tested functionality".

If we depend on the release version of a library on the release branch, we are still free to bump the library version if that is necessary to fix bugs (which may creep up due to GHC testing as you suggest) — I would expect that to be patch level bumps, though. If new library features are not sufficiently stable to move to that less tightly coupled process from T-3, then that feature set simply has to wait for the next GHC release (which by the new schedule will come much more quickly than before).

Let me reiterate that the tighter release process is aimed at being able to achieve more frequent and more predictable GHC releases. This again ought to help the library development, too. In other words, we slow down at the right place to move faster overall (an old Kung Fu trick ;)

Cheers,
Manuel

>>> Gershom