[GHC DevOps Group] Release policies

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Dec 19 15:12:37 UTC 2017

Thanks for spelling this out Gershom. Reading it through, here are my
questions:

1. What's the definition of "feature freeze"? Does it mean API stability?
Does it mean not code changes at all except to fix a bug? Are performance
fixes allowed in that case?
2. What's the minimum time between GHC cutting a feature-freeze branch and
the first release candidate? And the minimum time between first release
candidate and official release? Obviously, if each of these is 1 week
(which I can't imagine would be the case), then these libraries could cut a
feature-freeze branch after the official release, which obviously isn't
intended. I apologize if these timings are already well established, I'm
not familiar enough with GHC release cadence to know.

I can't speak to GHC development itself, but from a downstream perspective,
this sounds like the right direction.