Can't push to haddock

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 14:34:33 UTC 2017

> Cool, then let's turn to media reports then such as
> https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/31/github-goes-down-and-takes-developer-
> productivity-with-it/ do you have one for git.haskell.org going down?

Of course this question is a classic example of "the absence of evidence is
not the evidence of absence" fallacy, but anyway:

*
https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/4gppm8/ann_hackagehaskellorg_is_down/
* http://blog.haskell.org/post/4/outages_and_improvements.../
* Searchs ghc-devs@ for posts regarding Phabricator updates, Server moves,
problems with arc... (not exactly all downtimes, but in effect of the
incidents are the same)

I am not saying that the haskell.org infrastructure is bad, far from it,
but it would be an illusion to think that it has a much higher effective
uptime than GitHub. Furthermore: I don't think that the argument should
revolve around uptime. We have a distributed version control system where
people can happily work for an extended time span without *any* network at
all, and the GHC source repository is not a financial application which
would cause the loss of millions of dollars per minute if it's temporarily
unavailable. The arguments should be about simplicity, ease of use, etc.

Anyway, for my part the discussion is over, there *is* more or less open
hostility towards GitHub/more standardized environments here. Is it an
instance of the common "not invented here" syndrome or general mistrust in
any kind of organization? I don't know... :-/