Can't push to haddock

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 08:50:16 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 2017-12-19 at 08:31:06 +0100, Sven Panne wrote:

> This is a tradeoff: Doing it that way, you catch incorrect commits a
> little bit later, but it makes the overall arcane repository magic
> quite a bit simpler, probably removing the need for mirroring.

We'd need mirroring anyway, as we want to keep control over our
infrastructure and not have to trust a 3rd party infrastructure to
safely handle our family jewels: GHC's source tree.

Also, catching bad commits "a bit later" is just asking for trouble --
by the time they're caught the git repos have already lost their
invariant and its a big mess to recover; the invariant I devised and
whose validation I implemented 4 years ago has served us pretty well,
and has ensured that we never glitched into incorrectness; I'm also not
sure why it's being suggested to switch to a less principled and more
fragile scheme now. As a Haskell programmer, I rather err on the side of
correctness for mission critical things, and shifting checks we can (and
already) do statically to CI feels to me like embracing
`-fdefer-type-errors`... :-)

Cheers,
  HVR