Fwd: Release policies

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sat Dec 16 18:35:10 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017, 6:23 PM Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Therefore bytestring, process, containers, transformers, and many more
> will be pinned in a Stackage snapshot.
>
> So that would make it significantly harder, even impossible, for GHC
> releases to make any promises about the .cabal-file format of these
> packages, wouldn’t it?
>

> So even if we made some back-compat promise for non-reinstallable things
> like integer-gmp or base, we could not do so for bytestring.
>

> Does that give you cause for concern?   After all, it’s where Trac #14558
> started.  I don’t see how we can avoid the original problem, since we don’t
> have control over the .cabal file format used by the authors of the
> packages on which we depend.
>

> Still: GHC can only depend on a package P if the version X of Cabal that
> GHC is using can parse P.cabal.  So if we fix Cabal-X some while in advance
> and announce that, perhaps that would serve the purpose?
>

> Simon

That will certainly help. Even if GHC can't force any behavior on upstream
packages, perhaps just an official request that new features in the cabal
file format be held off on would be sufficient. After all, the case in the
Trac issue was a situation where the new cabal feature want necessary. I
would imagine that in the vast majority of cases, maintaining backwards
compatibility in these packages will not only be desirable, but relatively
trivial.