Fwd: Release policies

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Dec 14 17:56:54 UTC 2017

"Boespflug, Mathieu" <m at tweag.io> writes:

> Hi Gerhom,
>
> On 14 December 2017 at 00:19, Gershom B <gershomb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mathieu:
>>
>> I think the points about better tooling for documenting the correct
>> claims in the release process are well taken. Updating the release
>> notes manually leaves way too much room for error.

Indeed, the release notes have historically been a massive headache.
Happily, I wrote a bit of the necessary tooling to fix this a few weeks
ago [1].

[1] e4dc2cd51902a8cd83476f861cf52996e5adf157

>> However, I think you are incorrect that GHC 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 did not
>> have cabal-install 1.24 support. They did. it works with them.
>
> They did, and indeed Stack too worked just fine with them, but that
> was assuming that integer-gmp-1.0.1.0 really was what was shipped in
> the tarballs, not what it was on Hackage (until it got recently
> revised). I don't know which version of integer-gmp-1.0.1.0 was the
> intended one. They both have the same version number and neither seems
> more authoritative than the other to me. Had the Hackage one been the
> one that shipped, then I'm not sure that cabal-install-1.24 would have
> worked. Stack broke the moment what was on Hackage and what was in GHC
> bindists did not line up anymore. And with release notes mentioning
> incorrect version numbers, harder still to tell.

I agree that the cabal files uploaded to Hackage should match what is
released or, if not, there should be a very good reason for divergence.

[snip]

>> The general motivation of making a "feature freeze" more of a "freeze
>> all the moving parts, really" I do agree with. Having a real freeze is
>> part of a better release process, and it should allow all the
>> downstream consumers of everything more time to really catch up. This
>> is just one instance of that need.
>
> Agreed.

Also agreed.

Cheers,