dll-split

lonetiger at gmail.com lonetiger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 22:25:02 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I have just killed off dll-split, this means that you no longer need to maintain a list
of modules in GHC.mk.

If you’re a non-Windows programmer you can stop reading here, for those that build on Windows:

The replacement for dll-split is called gen-dll, and it is able to automatically partition any library we build, so this issue is hopefully solved once and for all.

Currently dynamic linking is still turned off as I have a few more patches to upstream. When I do turn it on, by default you will get a large ~45min hit in compile time. This is because dlltool which BFD based is quite slow.

To mitigate this gen-dll supports the use of the msys2 project’s genlib tool. This tool finishes in seconds instead of tens of minutes like dlltool.

To install it just run pacman -Sy mingw-w64-$(uname -m)-tools-git

The wiki pages have been updated accordingly already. If you install this now you won’t notice any difference in build time later.

Thanks,
Tamar