Discussion: Static Safety via Distinct Interfaces for HsSyn ASTs

Shayan Najd sh.najd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 14:38:51 UTC 2017

> (1)-(3) appears to be three different approaches, but I don’t think that’s
> what you intend.  I think there are only two: add the indirection layer or
> not?

(1)-(3) are just steps when we do choose to add the indirection layer: add
the layer, and do the changes when desired.
If we choose to not to add the indirection layer, nothing needs to be
changed and the internals of the encoding (`PostTc`, place holders, etc)
remain visible in the code.

Can you give an example function or two, and what it would look like under
> the different approaches.

For example, the function clause

> rnExpr (HsMultiIf _ty alts)
>  = do { (alts', fvs) <- mapFvRn (rnGRHS IfAlt rnLExpr) alts
>       ; return (HsMultiIf placeHolderType alts', fvs) }

becomes

> rnExpr (PsMultiIf alts)
>  = do { (alts', fvs) <- mapFvRn (rnGRHS IfAlt rnLExpr) alts
>       ; return (RnMultiIf alts', fvs) }

I hope it clarifies what I mean a bit.

There is always a choice between how distinct we want the phases to be.
The more distinct they are, the higher static guarantees. The code also
gets more clear in a way, e.g. `RnMultiIf` is talking about a renamed
expression, `PsMultiIf` about a parsed expression, while `HsMultiIf` is
talking about an expression of any phase.
At the same, distinctness means more work for the programmer.
Also, such distinction sometimes implies a pedagogic burdon, as readers
should now learn about more than one AST. However, this burden is very low
here thanks to the prefixing convention: `PsMultiIf` and `RnMultiIf` are
easily understood to represent the same thing in different phases.
Finally, such distinctions often lead to code duplication. But in our case,
Trees that Grow machinery saves us from such duplication, e.g., we have the
same base ASTs and we can write generic programmers over the bases ASTs
anytime we want (point/step (3) above).

Thanks,
  Shayan