Where to discuss the linear types extension of GHC?

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Fri Aug 18 21:38:33 UTC 2017

Hi Wolfgang,

great to see interest in linear types! I would advise caution about
building anything on top of the linear types extension at this time. If you
have interesting use cases, however, do tell, so that these use cases can
influence the design.

This is pre-alpha software, meaning that it's not even good enough as a
developer preview of all the basic features. It's an in-progress
development branch, which is going to take time to stabilize. Furthermore,
whether the feature makes it into GHC will depend on what the GHC proposals
committee thinks about it. The current authors of the would-be extension
have yet to draft a proposal and submit it to the committee.

If we manage to write a proposal in time, based on a beta level
implementation of linear types, and if the committee accepts the proposal,
then maybe the feature can make it into GHC 8.4. Or in GHC 8.6. That's our
hope, at any rate. But it could also be never, if the committee rejects the
proposal...

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug