GHC Build System & Cabal

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Apr 21 03:58:14 UTC 2017

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 21.04.2017, 11:29 +0800 schrieb Moritz Angermann:
> Initially I expected we’d just
> shell out and let cabal do the configuration and building of
> .cabal’ised
> packages.  But it seems to be the case that we sidestep cabal for
> building
> ghc.

one reason, as far as I know, is increased parallelism; "make" can
start building parts of ghc when the modules in base they depend on
have already been built, even if base itself is not done yet.

But you can build base using Cabal if you want to build it yourself, I
do that here https://github.com/nomeata/veggies/blob/master/boot.sh#L91
 for example.

Greetings,
Joachim