[ANNOUNCE] GHC tarballs for Windows 10 Creators Update

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Sat Apr 15 02:58:00 UTC 2017

Hello GHC users,

Over the next few weeks Microsoft will be pushing out an update (the
so-called Creators Update) to Windows 10 which will break the GCC
toolchain shipped with all GHC releases prior to the yet-to-be-released
8.2.1 (see Trac [1] for details).

Over the last few weeks our resident Windows expert Tamar and I have
been working on preparing a set of patched Windows tarballs with
retrofitted GCC toolchains covering GHC 7.2.1 through 8.0.2. These
tarballs are now available on downloads.haskell.org. The new tarballs
are distinguished from the original releases with a `-win10` suffix. For
instance, the 64-bit 8.0.2 binary distribution can be found at,

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.2/ghc-8.0.2-x86_64-unknown-mingw32-win10.tar.xz

Other than an updated mingw/bin/gcc.exe, these are identical to the
original releases. More details about the patched toolchain can be found
in Tamar's ghc-compat repository [2]. As always, let me know if you
encounter trouble.

Finally, we should all thank Tamar for his work on this; without his
effort GHC-on-Windows would be in a sad state indeed. Thanks Tamar!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13411
[2] https://github.com/Mistuke/ghc-compat