Create a ghc-simple-patch-propose list? Re: Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Thu Sep 29 20:55:40 UTC 2016

Hi Richard!

thanks for creating the pull request with a full proposal. You beat me to
it - tried writing up much the same before stopping for dinner, essentially
capturing just one of the points in Moritz's earlier (large) proposal.
Moritz, I would encourage you like Richard did earlier to split the
remaining points in your proposal into separate PR's too.

So Richard, I created a PR to your PR to add in a little bit more detail:
keeping the two mirrors in sync, role of the release manager to ensure that
adequate reviewers get identified so that patches don't go unnoticed by an
interested party who'd specifically want to review the patch on
Phabricator, etc.

https://github.com/goldfirere/ghc-proposals/pull/1

I also moved one of the two choices you mention to the "alternatives"
section of the document, thinking that's the pupose of the section.

On another note, I solicited an experience report from Gabriel Scherer
earlier this week. The Ocaml community likewise pondered using GitHub back
in 2014, and in fact lauched an experiment to that effect.  So I was
curious to hear how it went after 2 years of data.

You can see the announcement here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ocaml.platform/30

Gabriel tells me that the initial situation for Ocaml was different from
that of GHC: they had no formal code review tool in use, but would swap
around patches on the Mantis issue tracker. Be it as it may, it's
interesting to note just how much the number of contributions to Ocaml has
increased in recent years, after this experiment started:

https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/graphs/contributors

This experiment is today considered a big success. A key ingredient I
gather is that Gabriel volunteered to triage the GitHub PR's and play the
go-between to make sure all Mantis users were aware of any proposed changes
relevant to them.

The key insight I would put forth here is that how-to-accept-patches and
where-to-review-them should be an agreement between the contributor and the
assigned reviewer(s), in particular for trivial changes. For any given
patch, provided the reviewer(s) is/are game, and provided all protential
reviewers are made aware of its existence, it shouldn't matter much whether
the patch came from Trac, Phabricator or GitHub.

PS: Gabriel was very kind to also point out that the LLVM community has
been big users of Phabricator and pondering introducing GitHub into the mix
too. The discussion there should be relevant to this thread:

http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-May/100310.html

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug