Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 21:25:05 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Alexander V Vershilov
<alexander.vershilov at gmail.com> wrote:

> About GitHub based contribution. It looks great for me for *all
> types* of the patches. But.. bot (or for some time person) should
> migrate *all* the patches to Phab, closing the threads for comments.
> Bot should write some welcome message than with a link to Phab
> request and intruction how to allow Phab to use github account
> and read email if there is no account yet.
> This way when review had happened author will automatically receive
> all review comments with links to Phab, I'll hardly get that following
> a link to github is any harder than following link to Phab (assuming
> Phab  to login using github account). If user addressed comment
> he should be able to just force-push/update his branch and new revision
> should be created by bot. PR on github should be closed whenever Phab
> request will be closed, so it would be trackable using GitHub only.

I think this could make a great deal of sense.  This will allow us to
use the familiar GitHub interface for creating PRs, but all PRs will
be maintained within phabricator.

Creating a PR should automatically cause the user to create an account
on Phabricator, if possible.

I've done a quick search to see if a tool exists for this, and all I
found was this abandoned patch in the phabricator project itself.
https://secure.phabricator.com/D8775

Unfortunately (or fortunately, hah!), I do not know PHP.  However, if
phabricator has a RESTful API it seems imminently feasible to
implement this as a bot written in Haskell.