Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 11:05:09 UTC 2016

On 26 September 2016 at 22:51, Ben Gamari <ben at smart-cactus.org> wrote:

> Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > But this is opening the floodgates a crack... how do we know what a
> "small"
> > patch is?  What happens when someone submits a patch that's too large?
> >
> I tried to address these questions in the "Create a
> ghc-simple-patch-propose list?" thread where I said,
>
> Ben Gamari <ben at smart-cactus.org> writes:
>
> > I completely agree that for small (e.g. documentation) patches our
> > current system is quite heavy. For this reason I suggested at ICFP that
> > we simply begin accepting small patches via GitHub pull requests.
> > Frankly, this is less work for me than merging patches from a mailing
> > list and I believe many users feel that GitHub is more accessible than a
> > mailing list.
> >
> > The problem of course is what subset of patches do we want to allow to
> > be taken via GitHub. My suggested answer to that is any patch which, if
> > I were to write it myself, I would feel comfortable pushing directly to
> > the tree.
> >
> > Then there is the question of what do we do with pull requests opened
> > which do not satisfy this criterion. In this case I would likely open a
> > Phabricator Differential with the pull request and close the pull
> > request with a link to the Diff. In the ideal case this will inspire the
> > contributor to join the review process on Phabricator; in the worst case
> > review turns up issues in the patch and the user gives up. Either way, at
> > least the contributor feels his patch has been seen and given the
> > attention it deserves.
>
> Does this help?

Well ok.  I'm still concerned that adding a new contribution method is not
making things simpler, and that we have even more process and things to
document, which might itself be discouraging to new users.  But if you say
it's easy for you to accept patches this way, and that the rest of us can
mostly ignore github then I guess that limits the downsides.

Of course if people say this is what they actually want, then who am I to
disagree :)

Cheers
Simon