Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 19:40:07 UTC 2016

On 26 September 2016 at 20:13, Ben Gamari <ben at smart-cactus.org> wrote:

> Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I would rather we *didn't* accept contributions via github, even for
> small
> > patches, and instead put more effort into streamlining the Phabricator
> > workflow.
> >

> >    - Adding another input method complicates the workflow, users have to
> >    decide which one to use
> >
> I think we would want to try to sell the GitHub route as "if you would
> like to contribute then we would strongly prefer you use Phabricator,
> but if you must and it's a small patch, we will accept it via GitHub."

But this is opening the floodgates a crack... how do we know what a "small"
patch is?  What happens when someone submits a patch that's too large?  The
patches will get larger, we'll have to do code reviews on two different
tools, and it will be really hard to go back.  I just have a bad feeling
about this.

>    - Github is not integrated with our other infrastructure, while
> >    Phabricator is
> >
> True, but I suspect for the small documentation patches that we are
> currently consider this shouldn't matter so much.
>
> >    - Mutliple sources of contributions makes life harder for maintainers
> >
> It does certainly put yet another task on our plates, but I would argue
> that it's actually easier than accepting patches via Trac, which we
> already do.

We should stop accepting patches via Trac too :)

Cheers
Simon