Create a ghc-simple-patch-propose list? Re: Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Mon Sep 26 18:45:11 UTC 2016

Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com> writes:

> In writing the following huge wall of text, I had and idea that I think
> many folks would find palatable:
>
> What if simple small patches (such as hypothetical drive by doc patches )
> had a mailing list where folks could email the simple / small patches as
> email attachments plus a body text that summarizes the patch, what it does,
> and why it's simple!

I completely agree that for small (e.g. documentation) patches our
current system is quite heavy. For this reason I suggested at ICFP that
we simply begin accepting small patches via GitHub pull requests.
Frankly, this is less work for me than merging patches from a mailing
list and I believe many users feel that GitHub is more accessible than a
mailing list.

The problem of course is what subset of patches do we want to allow to
be taken via GitHub. My suggested answer to that is any patch which, if
I were to write it myself, I would feel comfortable pushing directly to
the tree.

Then there is the question of what do we do with pull requests opened
which do not satisfy this criterion. In this case I would likely open a
Phabricator Differential with the pull request and close the pull
request with a link to the Diff. In the ideal case this will inspire the
contributor to join the review process on Phabricator; in the worst case
review turns up issues in the patch and the user gives up. Either way, at
least the contributor feels his patch has been seen and given the
attention it deserves.

Cheers,

- Ben